News:

Keep your password secret and make it complex!

Main Menu

Introduction Ir. Ed J. Gubbels, geneticist

Started by Ed Gubbels, April 12, 2007, 10:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Gubbels

Because every member has to introduce him/herself, I (Nancy) will write the introduction for this special member. We have over 60 breeders on this forum. We have a veterinarian on this forum, who replies to health issues where a vetââ,¬â,,¢s opinion is wanted. When we run into a genetic health issue, best would be to have a geneticist to reply to the big question every breeder does run into at such time, what to doââ,¬Â¦Ã¢â,¬Â¦.

I have asked geneticist Ir. Ed J. Gubbels, former geneticist of the Dutch Kennelclub, to join us. His field of expertise is population genetics in dog breeds. How to deal with health issues. When you run into one, exclude both parents? All littermates?? Where to draw the line. What to do to keep the breed healthy, so that in 20-30 years we still have a healthy breed. Ed always has stressed the importance of having a pedigree-database on-line including official health scores to keep an eye on the population and to be able to see the results from the selection made within a breed (see topic Hipscore statistics)
I am very happy that Ed is willing to help us with these questions. To keep his mailbox from overflowing even further than it already does, he does not have an account on this forum with his own e-mail address. I will forward questions to him and I will post his replies with this user account I made for him. These questions should be asked on the forum, so that everybody can learn from it. He does not have the time to go into color genetics. The questions should be health selection related. I did make him this account, so that later it is easier to find his replies.

Here are some links to articles Ed wrote in the past about population genetics:
Genetic management of dog breed populations
Centennial Conference of the Dutch Kennel Club, 2 July 2002, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Ed.J.Gubbels, May 2002.

Problems of health and well-being among Dutch Labrador Retrievers; Implications for breeding policy
Labrador Post Vol. 38 (2), April 2002.
Ed.J.Gubbels & Janneke Scholten, April 2002.

The next posts on this account will be written by Ed himself ;)

canecorsonancy

I am so happy that Ed is willing to spend some of his time to help us!
I do however have 1 issue I really want to stress here. If you want to know more about an health issue and the hereditance, you or someone you know, has run into and how to deal with selection for breedingprograms, do keep in mind that each dog has littermates, parents and further ancestors. I do not want any names of dogs mentioned in these issues, unless all littermates, parents and ancestors and their furter offspring are owned by the poster. I know that is impossible ;) I want to prevent that dogs or bloodlines are being accused of producing health issues. For Ed it is of no use to know what dog has what problem and who the parents are. If you really want to refer to a dog, just call him "dog1", "dog2", "male1", "female1", or something like that. And if you have bred 1 litter, or own 1 dog, please to not refer to "a pup I bred" or "my dog", since half the forum will know who the parents are. This is not relevant for Ed.
Ed is here to help us make desicions in our selection, not for us to learn more about bloodlines.
xxx
Nancy

BluSteel CaneCorso

Thank you Nancy, having Mr Gubbels will be very benficial to all of us, great job and welcome Mr Gubbels!
Blusteel Cane Corso
www.canecorsoblusteel.com
Oklahoma U.S.A

Paul

Thanks to Ed for lending his expertise in these areas,great resource to have access to.Things just keep getting better around here :)

Casa del Sol

this is great, nice to have you here. thanks nancy for inviting him and i look forward to reading his articles and learning more.  ;D
Eddie
www.casadelsolcanecorso.com


"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." by Vince L.

Claude DARMANIN


Darrel

Thanks Nancy for your consideration, and thank you Mr Gubbels for taking time to join. Look forward to your posts...
Ohio, USA
www.madrivercanecorso.com

Yulia

Yulia Washington
Cane Corso de Impero Russo

www.ImperoRusso.us

Irena

welcome to the forum
and thank you for spending time with us  ;D


Beit Ha-Hermon (בית החרמון) - Di Dracarys
German Shepherd & Cane Corso
http://www.gididog.com (Hebrew)
http://www.gididog.com/hermon (English)

Corine

Welcome I am very glad that you want to take time for us.
Nancy thanks for inviting mr Gubbels

Our dogs are for life, not just for breeding.

nathalie

nathalie

www.canecorsopalma.nl

Milla

Excellent idea!  ;D
This way we all can learn from a person with education in that field!

Welcome Mr. Gubbels!  :D
- Puppies born -