News:

Keep your password secret and make it complex!

Main Menu

hello from bc canada

Started by staceface, February 21, 2011, 11:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anybody know where to find a breeder close by?

i don't know what
0 (0%)
these options mean
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

staceface

hey everybody,

i've had a cane before, and luckily am now living in a home that will allow for a dog again.  i'm just having a hard time finding a breeder, the internet is not my friend.  i've come across a couple of sites on line but have not been able to get thru to the breeder on them.  if anyone knows of any breeders in bc or alberta i would love to hear from you!  
thanks a lot,
s:)

Jolayne

Hi S

There is a very good breeder in  BC, just not sure what kinda of litter plans she has.  The kennel name is Antiquity Cane Corso.  There is a fb page showing some pics of her male.

I have no experience with the breeders in Alberta.  I got my female from Colorado.

Hope this helps:D

Jolayne


Alla

Jolayne,

out of curiosity - do you have any experience with the breeder you are suggesting? Or based on what are you recommending this particular kennel? As you said, your dog is from Colorado, so you obviously chose to import to Canada...

I don't know  Antiquity Cane Corso at all - heard the name before, but never had any dealings with, as such, cannot recommend one way or another.

Also, a face book page created on Sunday with 2 pictures on it and no information...

Staceface, I know a few breeders in Alberta, as when I was researching to get my dog, I started locally. I ended up importing from NY, but can share my knowledge about CC breeders in Alberta. PM me if you are interested in a particular breeder, and I can let you know if I met them and what my impression was...Just FYI, some of the people I train my dog with had rotties before, wanted/ looked into getting a CC and ended up getting another rottie pup, as they did not want to ship and could not find a dog that would fit their requirements locally. But people have different preferences / tastes, and it does not mean you cannot find a pup that will suit your needs / expectations in AB / BC :)

Janet Gigante



Janet Gigante
La Faccia Cane Corso
www.lafacciacanecoso.com
USA

Mary

Hi Staceface and welcome to the board from an eastern Canadian. Good luck on your search.

Cody

Hi Staceface, welcome to the forum from Calgary.
There are a few good breeders in Western Canada. Lisa from Antiquity, mentioned above, has been involved in working/showing her Corso here for many many years, is not some flash in the pan breeder. Although, I have yet to meet her in person, she is a wealth of knowledge.
I have met and spoken with many local breeders and depending on what you are looking for and how long you want to wait, you can get a great dog locally.
Good luck with your search, and if you want you can pm me as well, although I am still relatively new to the breed I love to talk dog.

Sanja Klaric

Hello from Croatia!
Wish you luck with finding your new pet companion!
Sanja

LisaR

First I would like to thank everyone for their kind words.

Alla, this question is for you...

  I am wondering why so judgmental about people referring me?   How long have you been in the breed and how long did you research before getting your dog?    If you state that you researched for a long time then you would have seen my old website, as I did have one up until October 2010.  People can refer people based on knowledge alone.  I am sure many breeders out there will say someone has good dogs or is a good person even if they have not purchased a dog from said person.  Did someone refer you to your breeder?  Did you meet this person or see any dogs from your breeder before purchasing?  Did you speak to anyone that owned a dog from your breeder?

Knowledge is an amazing thing, and we will never have enough.  One doesn't need to breed umpteen amounts of litters or sell a lot of dogs to have knowledge or mean they are good.    One can have a flashy website with bad dogs, or website with stolen photo's of other peoples dogs, does this make them someone you should purchase from?  In saying this I am not in anyway insinuating the breeder of your dog is one of these, I am just making a point to what you wrote.

I am glad you had a great experience with your breeder, and to speak about it is fantastic.   There are many great breeders out there in the world that have some of the best dogs, some have websites while others not.  I have been on the fence whether or not to put a website back up, when friends mentioned that I should at the very least make a FB page, I started one.   If that is an issue for you or a reason to be judgmental please let me know why?   

Alla



Quote from: LisaR on February 24, 2011, 08:36:37 PMI am wondering why so judgmental about people referring me?   
Judgmental?  Please start by at least attempting to read first.
I clearly stated that I "never had any dealings with (Antiquity), as such, cannot recommend one way or another." To me, this sounds like a statement based on a fact, nothing more. 

Do I need someone's permission to ask questions on an open board? Is there something I am missing? Was I IN ANY WAY disrespectful or offensive to you?

After I asked Jolayne, I received a PM stating "I guess I know more than you." That response I find incomplete and somewhat offensive...

Quote from: LisaR on February 24, 2011, 08:36:37 PMI am sure many breeders out there will say someone has good dogs or is a good person even if they have not purchased a dog from said person. 
I would recommend someone only if I had an extensive relationships / dealings with a person, but of course, I don't expect everyone to have the same ethics...

I know Jolayne went the distance (literally) and imported her dog from Colorado, and did not drive to BC. So, I was interested to know based on what experience she provides her recommendations and why she chose a different breeder?  I do not see where I was offensive or, as you state, judgmental.  Even though I believe I am entitled to MY OWN opinions and MY OWN judgments, as well as I an entitled to voice my opinions and questions – last time I checked, free speech was still protected by Our constitution.

Quote from: LisaR on February 24, 2011, 08:36:37 PMIf you state that you researched for a long time then you would have seen my old website, as I did have one up until October 2010. 
I DID see your website when I was researching, and I did not know it was taken down, as I simply had no interest in checking it out again. Since I believed there was a website, I found a link to a FB page that was created couple of days ago (instead of the actual website) rather amusing... My apologies – I was not aware that breeders were taking their websites down and replacing them with FB pages, but maybe I am not as "technologically advanced".

Quote from: LisaR on February 24, 2011, 08:36:37 PMHow long have you been in the breed and how long did you research before getting your dog?    People can refer people based on knowledge alone. 
Did someone refer you to your breeder?  Did you meet this person or see any dogs from your breeder before purchasing?  Did you speak to anyone that owned a dog from your breeder?
Knowledge is an amazing thing, and we will never have enough.  One doesn't need to breed umpteen amounts of litters or sell a lot of dogs to have knowledge or mean they are good.    One can have a flashy website with bad dogs, or website with stolen photo's of other peoples dogs, does this make them someone you should purchase from?  In saying this I am not in anyway insinuating the breeder of your dog is one of these, I am just making a point to what you wrote.

I am struggling to see how any of this is relevant or how you are making a point.  As I said – a referral is an issue of ETHICS for me, since it reflects on me – nothing more. 

All I see in your post is an attempt to turn my very simple question into a personal fight...I don't believe I owe you or anyone else any explanations. 

If you want to discuss my experience, relationship with my breeder or any other topics of interest, please send me an email. I would gladly converse with you, as long as we can stay civil and avoid personal insults, of course. 

Please don't respond on this forum as I am not going to waste any more of my time or make other people read this nonsense.

I WOULD LIKE TO SINCERELY APPOLOGISE TO EVERYONE WHO HAD TO READ THIS – WHAT I SAID WAS OBVIOUSLY TWISTED IN AN ATTEMPT TO START A PERSONAL FIGHT.  I AM VERY SORRY UNRELATED PEOPLE HAD TO READ THIS.


Have a great evening,

Alla

canecorsonancy

Alla, I am curious how much experience you have. How many years you are in the breed? How many breeders you have dealt with over the years? Just out of curiosity you asked Jolayne, but also to me it seemed judgmental about her recommending this kennel. Just out of curiosity I ask these questions to you now.
You really know a lot about ethics posting a pm in public :-\
xxx
Nancy

Jolayne

This thread started out as a person asking for some breeder recommendations, not where I got my dog and why I didn't get one from a breeder in Canada.  

When I first started looking at getting a Corso 2 years ago I really wanted to buy one locally, in Canada.  Antiquity was at the top of my list.  Unfortunately at the time Lisa didn't have any puppies and was not sure when her next litter would be.

So there you have it ....  

Alla

Nancy,
With all do respect, I don't understand how my experience in the breed is relevant to my question.  Did I claim anywhere to have a lot of experience? Was I offensive to the breeder? Did I say the breeder was bad / unethical / not worth looking at? NO.

I stated that I personally did not know the breeder, but was curious as to why this particular kennel was recommended and not, let's say, Dark Stone, or any other kennel in AB / BC. I was asking Jolayne about what experience she personally had with the breeder and not what she heard...
Is this one of the topics that are not allowed to be discussed on the forum that I was not aware of? Is there a list of things people can and cannot say / ask? Because I do not see how I was judgmental or did anything wrong. I do see that my words are being twisted, however,  and a simple question is being turned into some sort of drama...

When I was looking for a dog, I was also recommended a lot of breeders, most of who turned out to be not worth a second look. People who recommended those "great breeders" had no personal experience with them, and the recommendation was based on knowledge acquired on forums or pure hearsay... Also, many good breeders were trashed, again – based on hearsay or, what I believe, I pure envy. So, this is why I would only recommend a person I had EXTENSIVE PERSONAL experience with. I would NEVER recommend a kennel based on several phone conversation – people tend to say whatever makes you happy, but very few actually deliver... BUT as I said earlier, I don't expect everyone to have the same set of ethics as I do. And, unfortunately, people do recommend breeders on pure hearsay / several phone calls, etc, and then we wonder, why so many dogs are in shelters and puppy mills and those who breed sick dogs are going strong (please note I am NOT implying that Antiquity is a puppy mill or breeds sick dogs by any means. I hope this is clear and won't be taken out of context Again!). 

As I said earlier, if you ladies feel the need to know about my personal experiences for whatever reason, feel free to email me – I am more than happy to chat when I have free time. I don't see a reason for me being questioned on the forum, or do we question every member that dared to post a simple question in a similar manner?

Respectfully,

Alla


Jolayne

#13
"I don't see a reason for me being questioned on the forum, or do we question every member that dared to post a simple question in a similar manner? "


Alla, is this not the same thing you did to me?


If anyone started drama on this thread it was YOU.


Alla

"the same thing you did to me?" <-- I "thing I did to you"? WOW! What exactly did I do to you? I must be missing something, because I asked a SIMPLE question, I was not questioning you on your experiences / years in the breed / relationships with your breeder, and so on.
I asked you based on what experience you are recommending this particular kennel! Seems like a very straightforward and RELEVANT question to the topic. 

I see NOTHING offensive / judgmental about this. and I certainly do not see how I am starting a drama - a simple response of - "i make my recommendations based on a two year old conversations" would suffice...

You decided to respond by sending a personal INSULTING message to me...If you have a "personal" issue with me - the forum is not the place to bring it up. a forum is a place for people to have open discussions, express opinions, ask questions and support their arguments by facts...